Tuesday, February 14, 2006

On this Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

On this, the supposed most romantic of days, I will be enjoying my evening doing something I love...watching the Olympics. I love the Olympics. Heck, I get excited watching curling and find it fascinating. My heart broke for the defending 2002 Norwegian cross country skier when he was involved in a spill at the very beginning of the 3000M race that had him leaving the stadium dead last out of nearly 80 skiers. I nearly cried when it became evident that his teammates and a German recognizing he wasn't up in the front where he should have been, showed amazing sportsmanship by slowing down the pack. I cheered as he was able to come into the stadium at the end and emerge a silver medalist. I love it all. I even get tense watching curling. The Olympics bring out the best of the human spirit. They bring hope and rejuvenated drive.

I think some of what makes it exciting for me is that I only watch most of these sports when the Olympics come around. So I have to soak it all in so that it can last me 4 years. Kind of like I do with Girls Scout cookies. You gotta stock up on the things.

Anyway, I hope to be a more prolific writer now that my coworker is back from his 6 week medical leave. You know you have too much to do when you can't even READ your friends' blogs. The last thing I then want to do when I get home is to look at a computer. But times they are a-changin'!

4 comments:

aisy said...

"hurry, hurry hard"... ahh curling. a sport that canadians might actually get a medal in. have you tried it before? i always fall on my butt.

i keep forgetting about the olympics. oops

Sara said...

I haven't tried curling. Yesterday as I was watching it I wondered if anyone in PDX plays it and where. I want to know what it means when they yell out numbers.

Hey, It's Ansley said...

I saw a news clip about curling at the Lloyd center, don't really know any other details like time, place, $.

Sara said...

Thanks. I'll have to check it out. However, if my shuffleboard play is any indicator, I wouldn't make a good curler.